Different Ways To Achieve Teeth Whitening
One of the most common dental procedures in dentistry is teeth whitening. In the 21st century when people are obsessed with accentuating their aesthetic appearance, there is more embrace for cosmetic procedures like teeth whitening.
When it comes to improving the color of your teeth, a cosmetic dentist in North Austin will tell you that it is not as straight forward as many may presume. There are different approaches to achieving the kind of results you desire.
What Is Teeth Whitening?
It is the process of noticeably improving the appearance of teeth by brightening the color. The goal is to make them whiter than they initially were.
While some patients pursue teeth whitening solely to have a better-looking smile, others actually need the treatment. Teeth whitening services are very beneficial for patients who have significantly discolored teeth.
What Causes Teeth Discoloration?
Whether you know it or not, your teeth get discolored along the way. Some of the causes include:
- Foods – some of the foods we consume are highly pigmented, causing them to deposit stain marks on the surfaces of our teeth.
- Enamel thinning – this happens mostly with age, where the enamel of your teeth wears out gradually, exposing more of the dentin. Since the dentin is duller than the enamel, your teeth will appear less brighter as you age.
- Tobacco usage
- Excessive alcohol consumption
- Medication and medical conditions
Different Approaches to Teeth Whitening
If you visit Peak Dental, you will learn that there is more than one way to improve the color of your teeth. Usually, the approaches account for moth invasive and non-invasive measures to accommodate the needs of different patients. Besides, the kind of approach your dentist resolves to use may be determined by how extensive the discoloration on your teeth is. Some of the approaches uses include:
- In-office professional teeth whitening – it is the bleaching of the enamel of your teeth, usually performed in a dentist’s office. It is a procedure that lasts for about an hour. One of the main benefits of this technique is that you see the results you desire immediately. Besides, since the bleaching is done by a dentist, you can be sure that the method is safe and effective.
- Teeth whitening trays and gels – some people prefer to get their teeth whitened at the comfort of their homes. The use of whitening gels and trays is effective for whitening the color of your teeth. However, the process takes much longer than in-office bleaching. Ideally, you have to be consistent with the bleaching process for about three days before you can see the results thereof. An important factor to note is that there are different types of whitening gels and trays. While you can buy some from over-the-counter, it is better to purchase them from your dentist. This way, your dentist can still be involved in the process of brightening your teeth, assuring you of safety and effectiveness.
- Dental veneers – this is one of those techniques that can be termed as permanent teeth whitening. The approach does not involve directly bleaching the enamel of teeth. Instead, it involves the application of a tooth appliance called a veneer. It is a thin shell-like porcelain material used to improve the appearance of teeth. The dentist will pick a shade of dental veneers that is whiter and brighter than that of your natural teeth color. When the veneers are applied to the front surface if your teeth, you will immediately notice the brightness of your teeth. This technique is particularly effective for patients who have significantly stained teeth that would not respond well to enamel bleaching.
- Teeth whitening toothpaste – toothpaste used for teeth whitening contains mild abrasives that are useful for removing surface stains on teeth. Thus approach will take the longest before you can realize your desired approach. It is why people usually use whitening toothpastes to maintain the results of their newly whitened teeth.
Many approaches can be used to beautify your smile by making it whiter and brighter than before. However, be careful to consider an approach that is safe and effective. The last thing you want is to deteriorate the health of your teeth in efforts to whiten them without the advisement of a dental expert.